Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sometimes I love to be fancy

While in San Fransisco we went to the Michael Mina restaurant RN74. It is inspired by the road that you travel through the wine region of France. And, I mean, I felt pretty fancy cause I had been to that region. But also, I felt not fancy because the whole place had a very country feel to it (plaid shirts, wooden chairs, a trainstation flipboard announcing the wines). My chef- loved it- everything about it... he loved. Me, I was ready for a fancy meal.

What happened to the days where fancy expensive food meant fancy expensive restaurant? I'm not sure if I miss them but I would definitely like to know where they went. A heated discussion about this topic ensued throughout the meal. I argued that every once in a while I want to go somewhere that is so pretentious the people in the room can hardly function. My chef argued that he loves that food can be amazing, gourmet and inventive without being over the top, stuffy and no elbows on the table.

Sometimes I am down for a little fanciness... you? I mean I'm no longer getting invited to all those galas at the Met so what am I supposed to do with my beautiful dresses and years of learning which fork to use and how to properly eat random types of food? Are you telling me there is no place for "no elbows on the table" or waiters with white gloves. I hope they still exist in the South... and Connecticut... it would really ruin my fantasy if they didn't...

I guess if I am being honest it's the only thing left that makes me feel kind of like a princess. I would like to know who took that ability away from me. Even though I only want to do it like twice a year- I still want to. Damn you contemporary cuisines and restaurants being all trendy and confusing with you $80 entree and loud bumpin' music and waiters in lumberjack t shirts with nonchalant attitudes.

On another note- the food there was amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment