Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Second hand stories heard from the kitchen

I am one of those people who never sends food back to the kitchen because I would rather sit there with something I don't like or didn't order than sit there waiting to see how offended the kitchen was. I will wait 30... 40... 45 minutes for food to arrive and not say anything. I will never demand a refund if I didn't like my dish. I have friends and family who will only send food back or say something if things are really really wrong and then I know people who will send anything back, ask for any refund, complain about anything. I get that it is your money and you can demand the best quality/service/taste imaginable but I have heard about a few things that would blow your mind.

Here are some secondhand stories, from chefs and other chef wives, about ridiculous things that have been asked for in kitchens around the country:
  • A guy ate 7 of 8 ounces of steak on his plate and then demanded the waitress send it back to the chef because it was overcooked
  • A woman staying at a hotel brought her own shopping list and asked that the kitchen go shopping for those veggies and juice them for her 5 times per day
  • A woman who was allergic to eggs, nuts, dairy, soy, meat, citrus, berries, and wheat was upset that there was nothing on the menu for her
  • A woman let her daughter order and eat a bowl of ice cream and then sent it back saying she demanded a refund because her daughter was allergic to dairy and she thought that the ice cream on the menu was dairy free
  • A party of 10 sat down in a busy restaurant on a Friday night and only two of the people ordered food- they ordered appetizers- the rest got sodas
  • A customer ordered off the menu- white fish, boiled, no skin, no seasonings, no lemon- and sent a security guard with the chef to ensure he didn't get crazy and put some flavoring on it (she was on a strict weight loss diet)
  • A customer ordered shrimp pasta that had about 8 large shrimp on it and she sent it back saying that she thought there would be more shrimp on it
Have you ever heard or seen any outrageous things? FYI- I"m not been critical of these things- I love it when people are wildly ridiculous. Honestly. It makes me feel like I am talking about old school royalty. I love reading about ridiculous things. I love reading celebrity contracts that say things like "she only eats chocolate M&Ms because she doesn't want to eat food dye". I think it is fantastic and one day I hope to grow balls big enough to start demanding silly things with a straight face. Life goal.

- Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood vegan-chef-wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment