Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hey there Daiya wanna be my boyfriend?

Have you heard of Daiya? If you have- it is awesome right!?! If you haven't... just wait... it is delicious, nutritious, and makes you no longer miss cheese. I have a food crush on it (hey, Daiya, what's up... wink wink)

Daiya is an amazing substitute for cheese. Currently, it is offered in mozzarella, cheddar, and pepperjack shreds. Here is the short list of why I love it- it stretches, it melts, only 90 calories in 1/4 cup, no cholesterol, no trans fats, no preservative, soy free, gluten free, and it tastes great! And most importantly- it is chef approved! (I have brought home a lot of imitation products in the past that have gotten a range of reactions from a simple um no thanks to a louder um what the heck is this supposed to be because it does not taste like something people are supposed to eat)

I have tried it on: pizza, nachos, quesadillas, and grilled cheese so far.I use it just like cheese except I don't leave it cooking in the oven as long as I do regular cheese. I loved cheesy dishes- they were amazing! But they are not cruelty-free, they are very fatty and obviously, not part of a vegan diet. So when I found this I was like- saaweeet!

I found some great recipes that I can't wait to try it with:
Recipes from Daiya's website (you can filter for vegan and lactose free) 
Vegan Breakfast Burritto from Happy Healthy Life
Usually Vegan's Vegan Gnocchi Mac 'n Cheese
JL Goes Vegan's Quinoa and Daiya Burger

I will post other recipes as we try to incorporate it into other dishes that get the seal of approval!



It even is in some products like Tofurky Vegan Cheese Pizza, Amy's Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese, NuLife Foods, and Gardein Chick'n Good Stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment