Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Do you hate the food network?

I was at a dessert competition the other day and sitting at my table were two of the pastry chefs.
"I just loved your cake!" one woman said.
"Oh yes, it was just darling!" another exclaimed.
"Reminded me of something from one of those food network shows," another one commented.
"Oh, well.... yes... those shows have brought some notoriety to our profession," the pastry chef said through gritted teeth.
"Do you not like the Food Network?!" she asked appalled.
"Oh, well, no, not really, they give very unrealistic expectations of our industry," she said and turned to the other woman at the table to start another conversation.

When I got home that day I had to think for a moment... do we hate the Food Network? How do we feel about all of the cooking shows? Or, if I take my own self-absorbed opinion out of it- how does my chef feel?

I guess we don't watch all that much of our once beloved Food Network anymore. There is no denying that the network has changed greatly in the past few years. What once was a platform for great chefs and restaurant owners to share their opinions has now turned into a what-to-cook-for-dinner-tonight channel. No judgements- just saying.

So what does that mean for the food industry? Is it the same in every household? There once was time not so long ago when everyone had a favorite chef on the Food Network and now... I guess I should ask around...

No comments:

Post a Comment